About Me

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Grinch Who Stole Summer, or: Life is short, make the coat

Hi all!
The days are getting shorter and colder (only in Jerusalem, the rest of Israel is still like living in a toaster), and I'm sad that I didn't have a chance to "summer" this year. I usually enjoy the longest days, just being thankful for more hours of light. Last year we've spent August in Scotland where we had sunlight till 22:00 and I miss that so much. Spending August (not) studying for exams is not right.
Yesterday I had my monthly check-up and the doctor said thing are going well and I don't need to come again for 3 months! I was so stressed while waiting for my appointment, so I promised myself that if things are better than last time I'm throwing caution to the wind and starting my Cascade duffle coat RIGHT NOW. It is my dream project but I procrastinated it for so long because that are so many obstacles to overcome before construction begins.
Today I spend 2.5 hours taping and cutting the PDF after unsuccessful attempts to print it in a copy shop. Apparently in Israel they charge about 80$ for a job like this.
Next I need to cut the fabric. Being my first coat, I didn't really know what kind of fabric I should buy for the shell. I bought it in an end-of-winter sale for 2.5$ a meter, but I think it's too thin for a sturdy coat. My plan is to interface all the pieces, and cut the main pieces on a double layer. Consequently it means I need to cut the shell, than additional shell pieces, than all pieces from fusible interfacing, than the lining pieces. Of course my shell fabric is plaid, so I'll have the fun of matching plaid and deciding on location/ grain etc. At this point I'm so mentally invested in the project all of these decisions seem really important, even though I know it doesn't matter so much if the pockets are on the bias or not.
The last obstacle is the fit. I'm not making a muslin because I don't have anything in my stash in similar weight and making a muslin from a different material won't help very much. I know that this project may not work out but I'm fine with it. The shell fabric was cheap so it is as close to a test garment as possible (though I'm not cutting any corners in construction!). My Grainline size is 2 (or 2.5), and both my Lindens and Archers fit me well in this size. The only part I worry about is the fit around the shoulders as mine are broader than average. My plan is to try the shell on once I'm done before grading the seams, and if necessary release the seams a bit.
Hopefully I'll finish the cutting, fusing and basting this weekend.

Till next time,
Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Roni with your coat project! It's not a quick endeavour is it?! Have you thought about underlining our outer/shell pieces rather than fusing them? You could use something like a soft flannel that will give bulk to your outer/shell without the stiffness that a fusible interfacing might bright to the table.

    Thanks so much, BTW, for the comment you left on my recent podcast/audiopost. I really feel that approaching life's different phases (like pregnancy) is totally possible in handmade's and secondhand clothing with a bit of thought and planning. I wish you all the best with whatever life brings you in the near future.

    As for my opinion on cloth nappies: I thought hard about this question before my daughter was born. My concern was that, although cloth nappies are reused so they reduce the impact of their production, all that laundering uses SO MUCH water and energy that I was sure that on balance they would be a very ethical choice. Also, since my daughter has been alive, we have lived in three homes, none of which have has a garden so the thought of being surrounded in our home by even more laundry than we already are was not appealing!

    So, in the end, we kind of compromised. When she was a small baby we used gnappies/gdiapers which are a washable outer with disposable and bio degradable liners. And then on we used a brand of disposable nappies called Naty which are almost 100% biodegradable. I gave us the convenience of a regular nappy that you can put in the bin but knowing that, whilst paying a little more, we weren't having such a negative impact (especially because we bought degradable nappy sacks too). Phew! Sorry if that was more than you were looking for!

    Take care and all the best xxxx

    ReplyDelete